100_4639

Strip sets sewn this afternoon. The start of my new quilt.

100_4645

They will be ironed and cut into 10 inch squares tomorrow.

100_4640

My Butterfly Quilt is now a wall-hanging.

100_4642

And here’s some of the detail.

To be fair, the Butterfly Quilt is nothing like what it was supposed to be. I started it more than two years ago and it was meant to be a double-bed size but I soon discovered, when I was cutting out all the pieces and making the blocks, that applique is never going to be my  most favourite thing!

The pieces were packed away with everything else for our house move and forgotten about. When I unpacked them at our new home, I decided that I would make something out of what I had already made and abandon the pattern I was following. Hence a wall-hanging was created.

There are so many colours in the butterflies and several different background fabrics that I decided to sew a simple outline around each butterfly and leave the quilting at that. I am pleased with how it turned out and I don’t think that anyone will know it has shrunk in size to what it was meant to be.

Absolutely ages ago I saw a photo of a fabric line that was not the usual bright colours that I go for in my quilts. It was called Black Tie Affair by Basic Grey for Moda. It must have sat at the back of mind until last week because, when I found a pattern I liked for my next quilt, Black Tie Affair popped into my head as the ideal fabric to use!

We will see if I made the right choice as the quilt progresses…

Advertisements